Player Movement (Erin-Hillsburgh Minor Hockey Association)

PrintPlayer Movement

Player Movement

The Erin-Hillsburgh representative hockey program offers kids the opportunity to play competitive hockey - while still making player development and fun a top priority. Rep teams provide the additional challenge of competitive play against other communities. If a player is highly skilled and prepared to travel further distances, they might consider the challenges of a higher division team.

Note: Permission to Skate (PTS) forms or Non-Resident Player (NRP) passports are not distributed to EHMHA until completion of the OHF Minor Hockey Championships. (OHF Regulation G). The OMHA will send us the forms before the start of AAA tryouts.
Forms can be obtained by filling out this form: 2024/25 PTS/NRP Form

Based on OMHA rules*:

A player from an OMHA B base category Centre and below may try out for:
  1. AAA Zone as per the current regulations*. Permission to skate form is required.
  2. If U12 (Peewee) or above, one (1) AA team in a AAA or AA base category Centre OR
  3. one (1) A team in an A base category Centre, AND
  4. Home Centre
For above Option #2 (considered "Additional Method of Player Movement for Non-Resident Players to AA or A"):
  1. Movement to AA or A is only permitted to U12 (Minor Peewee) age or above
  2. Maximum number of “Non Resident Players” (NRP) is three (3) per eligible team. Once a team has rostered an NRP then NO replacement NRP will be permitted.
  3. Eligible players must request a Non Resident Player (NRP) Passport to be eligible for the process/tryout. The Home Centre verifies that the player is eligible by age/residence for their Home Centre and authorizes the NRP Passport.
  4. Player will only be allowed to tryout for one centre.
  5. If trying out for AA, the most likely associations will be Halton Hills, Orangeville, Guelph, Caledon or Brampton. Players cannot tryout for A in these associations.
  6. If trying out for A, the most likely association will be Centre Wellington.

* Should the above differ in any way from the OMHA Manual of Operations, the OMHA Manual of Operations will be considered correct. The above is an attempt to simplify the keys points of player movement. The player is responsible for ensuring that they understand the full rules of player movement. This can be found on the OMHA website under Administration.

What is a B or lower centre?
All minor hockey players in the OMHA have a designated ‘home centre’ based on where they live. For us, it is Erin-Hillsburgh. All centres in the OMHA are classified based on population (both hockey playing population and general population) with a designated letter classification, referred to as "base category" by the OMHA. Larger centres have ‘higher’ letters (i.e. A is larger than B); double letters are larger than single letters. For example, some centres in our area have the following classifications:
  • Guelph is a AAA centre
  • Halton Hills, Orangeville and Caledon are AA centres
  • Centre Wellington is an A centre (for rep hockey, Fergus and Elora come together as Centre Wellington, but play local league separately)
  • Erin-Hillsburgh is a B centre under the new naming convention
Centres designated as A, AA, or AAA run major and minor teams in each division (i.e. U13 (Peewee major) and U12 (PeeWee minor), whereas B and smaller tend to run a single team spanning two years in each division (i.e. a U13 team that combines major and minor age players).

Other notes for Erin-Hillsburgh players regarding Player Movement

  1. Any Erin-Hillsburgh player interested in trying out for AAA needs to get a Permission To Skate (PTS) form (as soon as available from the OMHA)

    • U14 and above - can tryout for any OMHA AAA centre.  Players who are cut/released from initial tryout centre can then go tryout for an adjacent AAA team if they wish

    • U13 and below - must tryout for our home centre: Halton Hurricanes.  Players who are cut or released from Halton can then go and tryout for an adjacent AAA team if they wish (i.e. Guelph, Brampton, Oakville, GTHL teams)

  2. A player does not have to try out for AAA in order to be able to tryout for a AA team.

  3. AA or A centres are limited to no more than 3 non-resident players.

  4. AA and A centres do not have to take non-resident players. The expectation is that centres will declare themselves as ‘open’ or ‘closed’ but it is up to the player to find this out.  

  5. Note that even if an association has an A team, players would not be eligible to play for the A team if the association is classified as a AA or AAA base category centre.

  6. Players interested in trying out for a AA or A team, will be issued a ‘non-resident passport (NRP)’ as paperwork identifying their home centre, and the centre they are trying out for. There are not available until the end of April - please fill out the PTS/NRP request form at the top of this page to indicate your intent to tryout at a difference centre.