1. All Trainers within the Erin Hillsburgh Minor Hockey Association will be responsible for reporting the following information to the Director of Risk Management:
a. any head, neck or spinal injury sustained during any game, practice or team function on ice or dry land where a player is required to leave the ice or the activity
b. any injury sustained during a EHMHA sanctioned event that requires medical attention
2. This information will be submitted within 48 hours of the injury or immediately upon the team Trainer learning of this injury.
3. This information will be submitted to the Director of Risk Management in the following manner:
a. by email at [email protected]
& including a copy of the Hockey Canada Injury Report Form
4. The Trainer will ensure that the following information is included in this notification:
a. Date of injury
b. Where injury occurred
c. Players name
d. Players team
e. Trainers name
f. Trainers contact number &email
g. Nature of the injury
5. The Trainer will ensure a Hockey Canada Injury Report is submitted within 90 days as required to ensure access to insurance benefits are available to the player if required. A copy of this submission is to be forwarded to EHMHA Director of Risk Management by:
6. The Trainer will ensure that any injured player wishing to return after sustaining one of the following injuries during an EHMHA event submits a Return to Play Form.
a. Any head, neck or spinal injury
b. Any injury where the player received medical attention/treatment
c. Any fracture or dislocation
7. When a player sustains a head, neck or spinal injury during a non EHMHA event, and the injury causes the noted player to miss any scheduled EHMHA practice or game; the Trainer will ensure that:
a Return to Play Form is submitted. Sections 8 – 13 will also apply in these circumstances.
8. The Trainer will ensure that any submitted Return to Play Form is signed by a qualified medical practitioner.
9. The Trainer will ensure a copy of the noted Return to Play Form is submitted to the Director of Risk Management no less than 24 hours prior to the noted player returning to the ice.
10. The Trainer whenever possible will ensure that the returning player participates in at least one practice as required by Hockey Canada and every effort should be made to ensure that practice is with his/her own team. When this is not possible the Trainer will ensure that the returning player is monitored by that team’s Trainer who is to be made aware of the injury details.
11. No player is to be allowed to continue their practice or play if the Trainer does not feel that player is safe to do so. In cases when the Trainer’s decision is in conflict with other bench staff or the parent/guardian the Trainer will immediately notify the Director of Risk Management, or the President, or the Vice President of EHMHA who will determine the resolution of the matter.
12. The Trainer will ensure all information relating to their players injury is noted in their Team Injury Log.
13. Any Trainer who does not report player injuries as required will be subject to potential discipline including suspension or removal.
14. The Director of Risk Management will maintain electronic records of all reported injuries and documentation. This information will remain confidential and will not be released outside of the executive without the written permission of the President of Erin Hillsburgh Minor Hockey.